Let me just say it is a fine, complicated balance to keep Bugsy's health in check... Lately, taking care of him has been keeping me on my toes :(
He was taken into the ER 2am Oct 10th for a very bad bladder inflammation - my baby boy was covered in blood, couldn't pee; it was really really scary... He was then put on a 7-day course of Clavamox and painkillers for a couple of days.
Since the day he started Clavamox, he also started having diarrhea....... and it never stopped. . I spoke to his vet and he wanted to put him immediately on metro and Amforol, I decided to hold it off since he had just been on antibiotics, and he said it would be ok to go on without medication, as long as he was ok otherwise (which he was) - all he would have was a sore bottom.
His bum-bum got so bad it was raw... I mean really raw... Poor baby would cry going potty
On Monday November the 8th I took him in to a new vet (unhappy with old vet, and the vet I really like, also his dentist, was temporarily closed until about now). He was given a shot of Centrine, put on a course of 5 days of Metro, and given Centrine pills to be used as needed.
Except for that Wednesday, when he had one episode of soft poop, he was good the whole week........ until the following Saturday.... when he had bad diarrhea again
I called the vet and we spoke in length about the possibilities...
He thinks this is really an IBD flare and we can try 3 different things. 1- Metro long term, 2x a day, eventually slowly taking him off of it... 2-Another similar antibiotic, with anti-inflammatory properties, given once a day (called Tylan), also long term, also tapering him off slowly after a while... or 3-prednisolone.
Given the fact that he already takes daily medication for stomatitis, on his opinion options 1 and 2 would have the least amount of risks and side effects if used long term. I chose option #2, as it has the lowest side effects, and it has to be given only once a day.
He said he expected him to be much better in a week or two, and if not we will have to go in for blood work. If something shows, x-rays and ultrasound.
Besides the diarrhea, Bugsy does not have a fever, is eating well, drinking, playing, and being completely his normal self. His bottom is back to normal too, thanks to Neo-predef and to mom' daily cleaning with cotton and warm water
Prior to this his IBD was always under control with diet and his LPS medication, which has an immune-mediator, probiotics and anti-inflammatory in it.
I am at a complete loss of what is going on... This never happened for this long...
On a good note my other vet is reopening, and now there are two excellent hands to take care of him...
It is now the 24th, which means he has had diarrhea for the last 43 days or so :(. I had to suspend giving Tylan for a few days last week as he started throwing up on it. Three days he took it, 2 he threw up. The vet thinks it is not because of Tylan, but Bugsy never ever throws up with anything, even taking meds daily, so I am pretty sure it is the medicine - he is my "lovely lemon kitty", and if there is a 1% chance of a side effect, well... you can bet he will have it.
So, effectively, he has been on it for only the last three days... I pray that he doesn't start throwing up again... I am doing my best to make sure he eats a meal before giving him the meds, but it is not always possible...
I really, really hope this works, because if it doesn't it seems we will be entering a wild ride here with blood tests, ultrasounds, and perhaps a biopsy.
If you could please spare some vibes and prayers for my boy... I would really appreciate... I love him more than words can explain... I just want him to be alright... I love him with all my heart and then some...