We are going to chat a bit about an important issue today - hairballs!
For some odd reason, there is a myth that hairballs are just a normal part of being a cat - well..... They are not.
The old way of thinking was that cats spend too much time grooming, their coarse tongues pull the hair, which in turn accumulate in their tummies, making them throw up. You see..... It's actually thought that the reason why cats groom in the first place, is to regulate their body temperature..... And their system is made to handle that hair - ideally passing it through via the stools (ewwwwww).
So, how come we have hairballs?
It's a mixture of poor motility (the movement of the food through our digestive system)..... which can often be a sign of IBD!!, poor diet - dry/kibbles specially, which are often high in grains, compromising the our gut flora, since we are obligate carnivores, combined with its extreme lack of moisture - cats need a diet that's 70-80% moisture, and kibbles are only around 11%. By being desert animals, we naturally have a low thirst drive and will not ingest the proper amount of water a day. We need water in the food - at least most of our water must come from what we eat.
Based on the above, the first step to control hairballs is DIET.
Grain-free wet diet, or better yet, RAW.
I can testify for that furriends.... As you all know, I have IBD.... When I was fed kibbles (blergh), I used to pass hairballs ALL-THE-TIME - so did my sister Lucky (She also has IBD) - we are the only ones with hairball issues in the house - and we ALL have long hair!
Anyways, one day I threw up a hairball that was so huge momma thought it could have killed me! Seriously, it was the size of a remote control - U-N-I-V-E-S-A-L!!! Very Scary!
I also had quite a few trips to the ER with hairball blockages, and Lucky got a blockage that put her off food for a week (let alone the enema (ewwwwwww) she had to get!
Hairballs is serious stuff! But since we have been on raw, we have been SO MUCH BETTER!!!
Unfortunately, diet has improved only 80% of it - so what does momma do to control the remaining 20%?
1- She gives us Vet's Best Twice a day
What momma Really thinks it works in this mix? Slippery Elm Bark, Marshmallow Root, and the Enzymes.
Can we tell you we LOVE IT???? Momma even made a video to prove it - watch:
2- Egg Yolk Lecithin. VERY IMPORTANT - this is NOT SOY - IT's EGG YOLK lecithin.
A Lot of Raw feeders use egg yolk lecithin for hairball prevention - the theory behind is that it breaks down the tight fat bind that holds the hairballs together, making it easier to pass.
Lately mom has been giving this one for us:
Swanson Egg Yolk Lecithin
She gives us one capsule a day, in our morning meal.
We love it, it has a yummy egg taste, and we have no side effects from it. Although I would recommend starting small and then working it up to a full capsule if you have IBD like me...... Otherwise you might have the poops.
Take good care of yourselves, and stay hairball free!
PeeEsse: If you have been throwing up too much, spitting the furry balls all the time, or have been diagnosed with IBD by the V-E-T and things are not under control..... If you are looking for healing instead of just masking your symptoms, join us at Raw Feeding For IBD Cats - we can help - Healing CAN Happen!
*Disclaimer - The product shown on this Post are Amazon affiliate
Comments, Meows, Woofs, Paws up and Furrwards are always apurrciated!